Support available if home is unsafe

18th April 2020

1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men experience some form of domestic abuse.

If you feel at unsafe at home, you can still access support during the the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you are in danger and you are unable to speak aloud, you can:

  1. Call 999
  2. Listen to the questions from the 999 operator
  3.  Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can
  4. If prompted, press 55. This lets the operator know it’s a genuine emergency and you’ll be put through to the police.

Please be reassured that the Greater Manchester Police are still responding to reports of crime in the home e.g. domestic abuse and exploitation. Support services are available whether you’d like to speak to the Police or not.

Support for Manchester residents

If you live in Manchester, you can contact the Greater Manchester Victims’ Services.

Call: 0161 200 1950 or visit the GM Victim’s Services website for help and advice on accessing support services.


Support for Trafford residents

As well as dialling 999 in emergencies, support is available from:

  • Trafford Domestic Abuse Services: 07534 066 029
  • Children’s Social Care (Firest Response): 0161 912 5125
  • Vulnerable Adults (Initial Assessment): 0161 912 5135
  • Social Care out of hours: 0161 912 2020
  • Emergency Re-housing out of hours: 0800 218 2000
  • Housing options (office hours): 0161 912 2230
  • Trafford Help Hubs for help during the pandemic: 0300 330 9073

Back to News